Having been my own boss more and less for the past +25 years I have long since realized that “creative leadership” is where I want to be and how I think is best to motivate people to become the best they can be.
Looking in the review mirror I can say that creative leadership is based the following.
- Listen to your instincts and stay focused on your convictions.
- In some cases, you will fall miserably but as long as you learn you will be fine.
- Conviction should a part of your company’s culture – You lead by having convictions.
- Never kill the first idea, it’s the spark! If it is still bad when you reach stage two, don’t be afraid to kill it.
- Move fast, don’t be afraid
- Take decisions in the now, don’t overthink what you need to do.
- Clever people without instinct and actions are basically “smart” people without impact.
- Surround yourself with solution oriented people that challenge you.
- In my mind some of the people that I have worked with over the years are those that have impacted my “fearlessness” the most.
- Trust… trust and then there is trust and honesty
- You have to listen to what is being said, the old and wise versus the young and fearless – Have in mind that in many cases its good not to understand that there are boundaries, they tend to limit.
- I am today surrounded by people that are 10 – 20 years younger than me, in many cases even younger and I love watching them work, they inspire me!
- Be vulnerable and stay open to what is happening around you.
- Vulnerability is a strength, when you understand that you know what it brings.
- I am also blessed with five kids and a great wife that inspire me every day, these are inspirations that give me different angles to what I do every day at work and help me stay fresh in what I do.
- Most importantly, lead – Do more than what is expected!
- Leadership is about that, lead and by leading you inspire people to become the best they can be.
Some of my favorite past and present co-workers have been people that I had a massive love/hate relationship with, these are people that I consider good friends today and I keep a good and open relationship with even if we have moved on.
Finally, never let anybody tell you that you are not creative.